Sell LHD Car
In the UK, there is little demand for LHD European cars (there is a small market, however, for USA cars). If your vehicle is a basic European model, it is most likely to be equipped with an EU license plate (otherwise some of the following might not be applicable to you).
It is common for dealerships not to purchase your vehicle as they cannot resell it.
- It needs to be imported properly. Thus, they will need to make modifications to it in order to pass an MOT, as well as complete a lot of paperwork, which will cost them money.
- It won’t be possible for them to sell it since Europe doesn’t have much of a market for LHD cars.
- Moreover, their insurance policies generally only cover vehicles with a right-hand drive.
How to Sell LHD Car ?
What you can do is:
- Consider advertising it online. Someone might be interested in buying it (usually for parts)
- You may sell the parts of the vehicle in a scrapyard since a large number of the parts are still suitable for the restoration of an RHD car. Commonly, this is an option, if your vehicle is common enough that there is a market for spare parts (e.g., used Ford parts in Hungary are obtained from scrapped UK vehicles).
- You may sell the LHD vehicle in your country of residence, and use the proceeds to purchase a vehicle with Right Hand Drive in the United Kingdom.
DVLA registration is required, and the vehicle needs to be used in the UK. Changing the headlights so that they point left rather than right will gain the vehicle an MOT (assuming it is in good repair and would pass on its own without modification). If you intend to use the car as a learners car (that is if you are attempting the test for someone else), a speedometer that measures speeds in miles may be purchased, but it is not mandatory. A car driven in the UK will be fairly easy for you (personally, I got used to it pretty quickly; RHD cars are more difficult to drive since the gear shift is on the opposite side of the car)
Driving a car that is not registered to you in the UK is only possible if you are a foreign national. Upon settling in the UK, you will be considered a resident. Therefore, you won’t be able to drive an out-of-the-UK vehicle across the border (though the majority will not mind until you obtain a driving license in the UK).
In the UK it is tricky to sell left-hand cars. What should I do?
The UK should not discriminate between left-hand and right-hand drive vehicles. Your advertisement needs to specify that the vehicle is left-hand drive – be sure to also include all the necessary paperwork for the buyer.
Buying and selling left-hand-drive vehicles may also be available from many car dealers. This option allows the company to handle all your paperwork for you. Think about selling your car privately rather than through a dealer if you want a higher return on your investment.